Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
  • Home
  • Living in Salem
  • Visting Salem
  • Doing Business
  • Quick Links
  • Town Government
  • Education
  • Library
  • Recreation
  • Emergency Notiication
  • Employment
  • Meeting Videos
  • Housing Rehabilitation Program
Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Building Code & Permitting process can be found below.  If you have a question that you do not see answered in this section of the web site, please feel free to click "Ask A Question" to submit your inquiry.

Subject:        Electrical Service - Changes to (2/16/2006)
Question:       I need to have an upgrade or some other change done to my electric service. What do I need to do?
Answer:         In order to change your electrical service you will need to do the following: 1) Obtain a permit from CL&P (electricity supplier) for your licensed electrician to cut and reconnect your electric service, or make arrangements with CL&P for them to perform the cut and reconnect. 2) Come into the Building Department and pick up a permit package. 3) Complete the application forms and return them to the Building Department   Be sure to have your CRS # from CL&P – It is required on the permit application form. 4) After you receive your permit, have your electrician perform the work. When the work is completed, schedule an inspection by the Building Department.  

Subject:         Private Pool and Spa Installation (6/6/2006)
Question:  What permits do I need to install a pool or spa on private property?
Answer:          An information package regarding Private Swimming Pool and Spa/Hot Tubs is available on line.  Click the link here  (furnish link to the packet – copy of packet attached to this e-mail)

Subject:        Pool Permit (9/22/2004)
Question:       Is a permit required for a pool with an inflatable top ring that rises as water is added?
Answer:         Yes, any pool that is capable of containing water 24” or more in depth would require a permit.

Subject:        Shed Permit (9/22/2004)
Question:       Is a permit required for a shed?
Answer:         Yes, a building permit is required for all sheds, regardless of size.

Subject:        Permit Time Limit (9/22/2004)
Question:       How long is my permit good for?
Answer:         In accordance with section R105.5 every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work is commenced. The building official is authorized to grant, in writing, one or more extensions of time, for periods of not more than 180 days each. The extensions shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause shall be demonstrated. Exception: The building official shall be permitted to specify an expiration date of not less than 30 days, nor more than 180 days for commencement of work under permits issued to abate unsafe conditions pursuant to Section R115 of this code. Work performed under such permits shall be completed as expeditiously as possible.

Subject:        Certificate of Occupancy (9/22/2004)
Question:       What is required from me to get a Certificate of Occupancy?
Answer:         An inspection by the Building Department must be performed and approved and you must obtain approval from the other applicable departments, such as Zoning, Health, Public Works, Fire Marshal etc. It is be the owner’s responsibility to contact the various departments to schedule inspections.

Subject:        Building Permit (9/22/2004)
Question:       How long will it take for me to get a Building Permit?
Answer:         Permits for work such as siding, roofing, windows and electrical services generally can be obtained the next day with office hours.  Applications that require plan reviews from our department generally take about 2-3 weeks for completion of the review.  State Statute allows us 30 days to either approve or reject applications.

Subject:        Who has to do the work? (9/22/2004)
Question:       Can I perform all the work on my own house?
Answer:         Yes, according to Connecticut General Statute section 20-340(11) persons engaged in the installation, maintenance, repair and service of glass or electrical, plumbing, fire protection sprinkler systems, solar, heating, piping, cooling and sheet metal equipment in and about single-family residences owned and occupied or to be occupied by such persons; provided any such installation, maintenance and repair shall be subject to inspection and approval by the building official of the municipality in which such residence is located and shall conform to the requirements of the State Building Code.


Official Website for the Town of Salem, Connecticut
270 Hartford Road, Salem, CT 06420 | 860-859-3873|
Website Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Virtual Towns & Schools Website