Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
  • Home
  • Living in Salem
  • Visting Salem
  • Doing Business
  • Quick Links
  • Town Government
  • Education
  • Library
  • Recreation
  • Emergency Notiication
  • Employment
  • Meeting Videos
  • Housing Rehabilitation Program
Planning, Zoning and Wetlands
Contact TypeContact Information
Planner SECCOG 860-889-2324
Wetlands/Zoning Enforcement Officer
Town of Salem
270 Hartford Road
Salem, CT 06420-3804
(860) 859-3873, Ext. 260
(860) 859-1184
Monday: 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday: 3:00 p.m.- 7:00 p.m.

Additional Links:
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page

Mission Statement

The Planning, Zoning and Wetlands Department mission is to assist applicants throughout the municipal approvals process, to ensure that proposals comply with applicable regulations, and to enforce the Town’s Zoning, Subdivision, and Inland Wetlands and Watercourses regulations.  Meetings with developers are encouraged and held often, prior to formal application and plan submission to the Land Use Commissions.  

The department is responsible for issuing zoning permits and for resolving zoning and environmental complaints.  A zoning permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, move, or change the use of primary and/or accessory structures, and prior to commencement of the operation of a home-based business.  For activity proposed within the 75’ upland review area (the “buffer”) of a wetland or a watercourse, a wetland buffer permit is required prior to issuance of a zoning permit.  However, permitted uses as of right and non-regulated uses do not require a permit.  Work within the actual wetland and watercourse requires a permit from the Inland Wetlands and Conservation Commission.


Official Website for the Town of Salem, Connecticut
270 Hartford Road, Salem, CT 06420 | 860-859-3873
Website Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Virtual Towns & Schools Website