**NEW: While the library building is closed, if you are a resident of Salem or Bozrah and you have never been issued a library card previously, you may obtain a temporary library card to access our online services. Simply fill out the online form here to apply for a new card.
If you have a library card that is currently expired, please email the library at: firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may extend the expiration date of your card, allowing access to many of our online resources.
Normal Procedure for Obtaining a Library Card:
- Any person over the age of eighteen who shows proof of current address for the towns of Salem or Bozrah may register to receive a Salem Free Public Library card free of charge.
- Patrons must come to the library in person, showing proof of residency which includes either a current Connecticut state-issued ID with photo or a piece of mail, such as a utility bill, lease agreement, car insurance bill, or car registration, etc. sent to your Salem or Bozrah address.
- Library cards are valid for three years and must be renewed in person at the Salem Free Public Library.
- Parents/Legal Guardians of children under the age of 18 may obtain a library card for their child’s use under the same requirements.
- Library users are responsible for all items checked out on his/her card, and in addition, parents are responsible for all items checked out on their child’s card.
- Library cards must be presented in order to check out physical materials. If card is lost/stolen, a photo ID is required to check out materials and to obtain a replacement card.
- Patrons from other Connecticut towns are welcome to register their current hometown library card at the Salem Free Public Library. In addition, Salem/Bozrah residents may register their current Salem Free Public Library card at any other public library in Connecticut to check out physical materials.